As our face ages there is a loss of skin elasticity and firmness, tissues sag at the jowl and neck line, deep folds and wrinkles form between the nose and mouth (nasolabial folds) and some patients can feel like they have a double chin, even though they are normal weight. The loss of a youthful facial contour is due to a variety of factors including gravity, heredity, environmental conditions, weight fluctuations or even stress.
Medically known as the rhytidectomy, the facelift surgery by Dr. Brian Hass is the procedure designed to correct the signs of aging in order to give a patient uplifted contours and improved tone for their facial skin and underlying muscles. It is best performed on healthy women and men (typically those between the ages of the 40s through 80s) who are non-smokers and have realistic goals in mind for an improved appearance.
Other cosmetic procedures often performed in conjunction with a facelift are the rhinoplasty (nose reshaping), earlobe reduction and injectable fillers for the finer lines around the mouth. The upper facial surgeries of an eyelid or forehead lift can also be performed at the same time by Dr. Andrea Hass, our ophthalmic plastic surgeon. Just as every face is unique, the doctors' unique approach and individual specialties allow them to customize procedures to fit each patient's individual needs.
• Dr. Hass performs the facelift surgery in our fully accredited AAAASF facility at Hass Plastic Surgery Center & MediSpa or at the Laser & Surgery Center of the Palm Beaches, (also in Palm Beach Gardens). In specific situations, or if a patient requests, the doctor can also perform cosmetic surgeries at Jupiter Medical Center where the doctors also have medical privileges.
• The surgery is about 2 - 3 hours and patients sleep comfortably through the procedure with total IV sedation (monitored anesthesia), not general anesthesia. If eyelid or forehead lift is combined, then the surgery may be 1 -2 hours longer.
• Incisions for facelift are placed discreetly within the hair line, inside the ear and continue around the earlobe in the crease and into the back of the hairline, however no hair is shaved. Fat may be sculpted or redistributed from the face, jowls and neck and underlying tissues are repositioned. Skin is re-draped over the uplifted contours and the excess removed.
• After you have recovered at our center you may go home with a caregiver or to an overnight recovery center, (we recommend, The Secret Garden on Singer Island). Your first post-operative visit, if going home, will be within 24 hours to have a facial dressing removal, yet there are no drains.
• Patients can shower on the second day after surgery, however we prefer they avoid a hot hair dryer. The surgery is really not uncomfortable, (as many imagined) and there is minimal pain which is easily controlled by medications.
• Recovery from a facelift does vary from patient to patient and also depends upon the extend of the procedures performed. As with any surgery, there is always swelling and some bruising that occurs. Bruises usually resolve within 7 to 14 days and much of the swelling subsides within the first 2 weeks though it may take several months for all of the swelling to resolved.
• Most patients spend the first week post operatively resting, but by the second week they can start to resume some light activities. During the third week, patients often can go back to work and begin to go out socially. Exercise can begin usually within 4 to 6 weeks following the facelift.
• Stitches inside the ear, or around the eyelids are removed at five days post operatively and the remaining sutures behind the ears or in the brow at ten days.
The Result From a Facelift
While a natural and presentable appearance is seen in the first week, it will continue to improve over the next three to nine months. The jowl line and neck are restored and a youthful fullness is returned to the face. Patients are pleased with their younger appearance and often feel as if they look 10 - 15 years younger.
Remember, a facelift does not change your fundamental appearance and make you look windswept, nor does it stop the aging process. In fact you should look beautiful, refreshed and rested. Although you will continue to age naturally, your aging will progress from the more youthful version of yourself that has been restored by a facial surgery. Whether a patient chooses to have a second or even third facelift someday often depends in great part on their individual facial characteristics. A facelift typically lasts at least 7 - 10 years.
Plastic surgery at its best is never noticed as "plastic surgery," it just leaves you looking more refreshed, youthful and natural.
The Hass Difference
Drs. Andrea and Brian Hass and their staff are committed to their patients' care, well being and beauty maintenance. Following any surgical procedure, the doctors see their patients on a regular basis and continue to follow their progression for an extended period. For our seasonal or out-of-town patients, special accommodations are made to be sure follow-up can be handled, either out-of-state or when the patient returns to Florida.
In addition, the staff at Hass Plastic Surgery & MediSpa are also available for procedures that can help maintain and complement facial surgeries whether with injectable dermal fillers, BOTOX® , skin care, chemical peels or even laser procedures.
Why Are There So Many Names For Face Lifts
Your face is your most visible feature. When you feel like you look your best you tend to have more confidence. That is really one of the sole reasons why patients choose the doctors at Hass Plastic Surgery for their cosmetic facial rejuvenation. Plastic surgeon, Dr. B - as patients fondly call him, knows people in South Florida have active lifestyles AND they want to look as good as they feel. No patient comes to our office and says, "I want to look like I had work done."
You have probably heard the terms, 'mini-facelift,' 'weekend or style lifts,' 'thread lifts' or even the 'vertical or s-lift.' These are just some of the catch phrases for cosmetic facial procedures - many of which are not always performed by board certified plastic surgeons. The area of West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Stuart and Vero Beach up to Orlando, like other South Florida cities, all seem to have their own set of catch phrases for facelift procedures. Though these terms and the advertisements for them can be overwhelming, always remember the goal of facial rejuvenation is to bring your outer appearance into harmony with your inner feelings of youth, energy and optimism.
Let's face it, patients today desire a more youthful appearance, but definitely DO NOT want the obvious signs of a cosmetic surgery. Both Dr. B and his wife, Dr. Andrea Hass, board certified ophthalomolgy and a fellowship trained ophthalmic plastic surgeon, have perfected their eyelid, brow, lower face and neck procedures to give their patients natural and youthful results.